As part of its commitment to Corporate Social Responsibility, the Institution of Mechanical Engineers (IMechE) has undertaken to review, monitor and take all steps to improve its environmental performance.
In order to improve its environmental performance the IMechE will:
- Keep up to date and comply with all relevant environmental legislative requirements and codes of practice.
- Monitor and keep up to date with customers’ environmental requirements.
- Monitor and review these objectives and targets on an annual basis.
- Communicate the environmental policy to all employees.
- Make the Environmental Policy the responsibility of the Head of Building Services.
Throughout the IMechE premises, the company shall, where appropriate, seek to:
- Reduce the volume of waste being sent for disposal to landfill.
- Increase the reuse and recycling of materials.
- Reduce energy and water use.
Reduce the impact of travel by employees (on IMechE business) by:
- Promoting the use of lower impact modes of transport.
- Promoting the use of telephone and video conferencing.
- Planning itineraries to combine meetings and other visits.
- Flexible working where possible and appropriate.
- Reduce the use of products which are harmful to the environment and/or which consume high levels of natural resources.
- Review of Procedures
The Institution will regularly communicate its Energy Policy to employees and associated persons. The Head of Building Services is responsible for the implementation of this policy and will monitor and review the implementation of this policy and related procedures on a regular basis.
Employees and those working for or on behalf of the Institution are encouraged to contact either the Head of Building Services or their line-manager with any suggestions, comments or feedback that they may have on how these procedures may be improved.
The Institution reserves the right to amend and update this policy as required. For the avoidance of doubt, this policy does not form part of employees’ contracts of employment
Created: March 2014
Reviewed: March 2018
To be reviewed: March 2019
Head of Building Services